Learning a new language can be an exciting and rewarding journey, and if you are after exploring Germany in English, there is an abundance of English-language resources available to help learners improve their proficiency. In this article, we will explore a variety of books, apps, podcasts, Youtube channels and online tools that will help you learn German in English.
Books for Learning German in English:
“German Made Simple” by Eugene Jackson and Adolph Geiger
This comprehensive guide is designed specifically for English speakers and offers clear explanations of German grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. It includes interactive exercises and quizzes to reinforce learning.
“The Everything Learning German Book” by Edward Swick:
A popular choice for beginners, this book covers essential grammar, vocabulary, and phrases. It provides practical examples and exercises to facilitate learning at different proficiency levels.
“Living Language German, Complete Edition” by Living Language:
This multimedia course combines a textbook with online audio recordings and interactive exercises. It covers all aspects of language learning, including speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
German Language Learning Apps
Duolingo is a widely recognized language learning app that offers German courses for English speakers. It incorporates gamification and bite-sized lessons to make learning engaging and fun. The app covers various language skills, including vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.
Memrise provides interactive lessons and vocabulary exercises for German learners. The app utilizes spaced repetition and mnemonic techniques to help users memorize new words effectively. It also offers community-created content for additional practice.
Babbel offers structured German courses for English speakers, focusing on practical conversational skills. The app combines dialogues, vocabulary, and grammar exercises to facilitate comprehension and communication.
Podcasts for Exploring Germany in English
Podcasts have become a popular medium for learning and entertainment, offering a convenient way to immerse oneself in various topics, including language learning and cultural exploration. For English speakers interested in exploring Germany in English, there is a vibrant selection of podcasts that delve into the language, history, culture, and everyday life of the country.
The German Way & More Podcast
- Hosted by Hyde Flippo, this podcast covers a wide range of topics related to Germany, including language learning tips, cultural observations, travel advice, and expat experiences. Each episode offers a deep dive into specific aspects of German life, providing listeners with a comprehensive understanding of the country’s language and culture.
Germany: Memories of a Nation
- Presented by Neil MacGregor, the former director of the British Museum, this BBC podcast series explores the rich history and culture of Germany. With a focus on significant historical moments, artefacts, and individuals, MacGregor takes listeners on a captivating journey through time, shedding light on Germany’s past and its impact on the present.
The History of Germany Podcast
- For history enthusiasts, this podcast offers a detailed chronological exploration of Germany’s past. Hosted by Travis Dow, the series covers various periods, from prehistoric times to modern Germany, delving into important events, influential figures, and the country’s evolving political and cultural landscape.
The Expatcast (Website: https://theexpatcast.com/)
- Hosted by German-American expat Nicole, The Expatcast focuses on the experiences of expatriates living in Germany. Through interviews with diverse guests, the podcast covers a wide range of topics, including language learning, navigating bureaucracy, cultural integration, and the challenges and joys of expat life. This podcast provides valuable insights for anyone considering a move to Germany or interested in the expat experience.
The Slow German Podcast
- Perfect for language learners, The Slow German Podcast offers episodes in which host Annik Rubens discusses various topics at a slower pace, making it easier for listeners to follow along and grasp the German language. The podcast covers a wide range of subjects, including culture, history, current events, and everyday life in Germany.
- Focusing specifically on German grammar, this podcast aims to help learners understand and navigate the intricacies of the language. Hosted by Laura, a German teacher, each episode explores different grammar topics, providing explanations and examples in English to aid comprehension.
Explore Germany Podcast
- Hosted by Kevin, a language enthusiast, the Explore Germany Podcast aims to introduce listeners to the diverse regions, cities, and landmarks of Germany. Through engaging storytelling, Kevin shares interesting facts, historical anecdotes, and travel tips, offering a virtual exploration of Germany’s hidden gems.
- Hosted by Michael Schmitz, a German language coach, the SmarterGerman Podcast focuses on language learning techniques and strategies. With episodes covering vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation, this podcast offers practical tips and insights to help English speakers improve their German language skills.
German Science Podcast
- This podcast explores the world of German science and innovation. Hosted by Susanne Hennig-Wellsow, each episode features interviews with scientists, researchers, and experts in various scientific fields, showcasing Germany’s contributions to advancements in science and technology.
German Language Learning Youtube Channels:
(YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/EasyGerman):
Easy German is a popular YouTube channel that offers authentic interviews and street conversations with native German speakers. Subtitles in both German and English help learners follow along and improve listening skills.
Deutsch für Euch
(YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DeutschfürEuch):
Deutsch für Euch provides clear and concise explanations of German grammar, vocabulary, and cultural topics. The host uses English explanations to aid understanding and offers exercises for practice.
Online Tools and Platforms:
Deutsche Welle provides a wide range of resources for learning German. Their online platform offers free language courses, audio and video lessons, news articles, and interactive exercises. They also have a YouTube channel with educational content and language learning series.
Lingoda offers live online German classes with qualified teachers. Their structured curriculum covers various levels and focuses on practical communication skills. Students have the opportunity to interact with teachers and other learners in a virtual classroom setting.
FluentU is an immersive language learning platform that uses authentic German videos, such as movie trailers, news clips, and music videos, to teach vocabulary and grammar in context. It provides interactive captions, flashcards, and quizzes to enhance comprehension.
There are plenty of resources for learning German for those seeking to explore ‘Germany in English.’ but this was a brief and focused list of resources to get you started to be able to explore the German language and the German culture.
- Jackson, E., & Geiger, A. (2018). German Made Simple: Learn to Speak and Understand German Quickly and Easily. Three Rivers Press.
- Swick, E. (2013). The Everything Learning German Book: Speak, Write, and Understand Basic German in No Time. Adams Media.
- Living Language. (2011). Living Language German, Complete Edition: Beginner through advanced course, including 3 coursebooks, 9 audio CDs, and free online learning. Living Language.
- Deutsche Welle. (n.d.). Learn German. Retrieved from https://www.dw.com/